Students in 8th, 9th, and 11th grades in Minnesota were surveyed regarding adverse childhood experiences (ACEs). These are:
- physical abuse
- emotional abuse
- mental illness of a household member
- problematic drinking or alcoholism of a household member
- illegal street or prescription drug use by a household member
- divorce or separation of a parent
- domestic violence towards a parent
- incarceration of a household member
Students were asked about seven of the eight ACEs--students were not asked about mental illness of a household member.
In 2016, of all students surveyed, four percent had experienced four or more adverse childhood experiences. In comparison, 16 percent of homeless children surveyed had experienced four or more adverse childhood experiences.
This document (.xlsx) provides the indicator data in table format.