SWIFT Update July 15, 2016
Statewide Systems Availability
All statewide systems will be unavailable due to system maintenance Sunday, July 17 between 7 a.m. and 12 p.m. Please plan around this time to minimize interruption of critical business functions. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Impacted systems include:
• Self Service
• Recruiting Solutions
• SWIFT (Including Supplier Portal and Mobile Inventory)
• SWIFT Data Warehouse (EPM)
• Budget Planning and Analysis System (BPAS)
• Capital Budget System (CBS)
• Enterprise Learning Management (ELM)
• Fiscal Note Tracking System (FNTS)
2016 Year End Update
A successful soft close was executed on June 30, 2016. The impact on agencies for budget period 2016 appropriations is as follows:
• Agencies cannot create new encumbrances (POs) against budget period 2016 appropriations (except type 02 - continuing)
• Vouchers for budget period 2016 must reference an existing encumbrance (except type 02 - continuing)
• Agencies need to cancel all requisitions
• Receipts can still be deposited and bills and receivables created against budget period 2016
There are important tasks agencies need to accomplish in the next few weeks to ensure a successful hard close on August 12th. Formalized detailed instructions are provided in the Annual Budget and Accounting Instructions – Document 3 which is available on the Budget and Accounting Instructions web page. Of critical importance is that agencies respond quickly to the problem reports and encumbrance certification documents.
• Encumbrance certification reports will be sent to agency contacts next week. All encumbrances for the fiscal year must be canceled unless the agency head certifies that goods were ordered or services rendered by June 30, 2016 (MS 16A.28). Agencies must certify valid encumbrances by completing and returning the certification report to MMB.
• The BFY 2016 problem reports were sent to agency contacts on July 12th. The report identifies four appropriation statuses that must be resolved prior to close. They include appropriations that are in an over-obligated or over-expended status as well as appropriations that still have open requisitions or anticipated transfer balances. Updated reports will be sent each week until August 1st, at which time they will be sent out daily.
Thanks in advance to agencies for their prompt attention in completing the encumbrance certification report and resolving budget problems to ensure a successful close.
Accounts Payable Update: Instructions for Payments to the U of M
When you make a payment to the University of Minnesota, Vendor ID 0000197383, please DO NOT enter information into the Customer Number field.
The University of Minnesota, Vendor ID 0000197383, is unable to electronically post some State of Minnesota payments. When they receive their ACH file from their bank, payments are uploaded to their accounts receivable system. For State of Minnesota payments, the bank file includes the Invoice ID from the Invoice No field in most instances. However, SWIFT has a customization that sends the Customer Number in place of the Invoice No if that field is populated on the voucher. This customization is needed for other vendors who are using the customer account number to post payments.
In an effort to minimize the amount of manual intervention by University staff, MMB is requesting that agencies avoid populating the Customer Number field on payments to the University.
Questions related to this issue can be directed to: EFThelpline.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Desk Hot Topic
Help Desk Hot Topics feature Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) answered by the SWIFT Help Desk. Use these as a friendly reminder of a process or as an opportunity to learn something new!
Q: How do I close a purchase order?
A: Depending on the circumstances, here are options for closing purchase orders:
1. PO’s that reference a contract can be closed by following these steps: 1) use a Change Order to reduce the purchase order to what has been paid, and then 2) close it using the Buyer’s Workbench. Follow the instructions in the Close a Purchase Order Referencing a Contract Using a Change Order Quick Reference Guide.
2. Individual POs can be closed from the Buyer’s Workbench. Follow the Instructions in the Close an Individual Purchase Order Using the Buyer’s Workbench Quick Reference Guide.
3. Multiple POs can be closed by using a CSV (comma separated value) file and the Buyer’s Workbench. To do this, follow the instructions in the Close Multiple Purchase Orders Using CSV Files Quick Reference Guide.
SWIFT Help Desk
Contact the SWIFT Help Desk for any questions, concerns or issues you have with SWIFT:
651-201-8100, option 2 or by email SWIFTHelpDesk.MMB@state.mn.us
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; closed holidays.
When emailing the SWIFT Help Desk, be sure to include all details regarding the issue. Information to include with your message:
- Issue Description
- Business Unit
- Module (Accounts Payable, Purchase Orders, etc.)
- Transaction ID (Voucher ID, PO ID, etc.)
- Error Message Print Screen
Additional assistance can be found on the SWIFT Reference Guide page.
To find SWIFT training, open Employee Self-Service and select the Learning folder. Then, search the Catalog using the keyword “SWIFT” to find and enroll in classes currently scheduled. Classes are free of charge and open to everyone.