SWIFT Update July 13, 2017
2017 Year End Update
MMB executed a successful soft close on June 30, 2017.
The impact on agencies for budget period 2017 appropriations is:
• Agencies cannot create new encumbrances (POs) against budget period 2017 appropriations (except type 02 - continuing).
• Agencies creating vouchers for budget period 2017 must reference an existing encumbrance (except type 02 - continuing).
• Agencies need to cancel all requisitions.
• Agencies can still deposit receipts, bills and receivables created against budget period 2017.
There are critical tasks that agencies need to accomplish in the next few weeks to ensure a successful hard close on August 12th. You can find detailed instructions in the Annual Budget and Accounting Instructions – Document 3.
Agencies need to respond quickly to encumbrance certification and appropriation problem reports.
Encumbrance Certification Reports
• MMB will send reports next week.
• Agencies must cancel all encumbrances for the fiscal year unless the agency head certifies that goods or services were ordered by June 30, 2017 (MS 16A.28).
• Agencies must certify encumbrances by completing and returning the certification report to MMB.
Appropriation Problem Reports
• MMB sent the reports July 11 and will send them out weekly until July 31, 2017. Then, they will send them out daily.
• These reports identify appropriations that are over-obligated, over extended, or have open requisitions (pre-encumbrances) or anticipated transfers. Agencies must resolve these conditions before hard close.
Thanks in advance for your prompt attention in completing the encumbrance certification report and resolving budget problems to ensure a successful close.
Update on SWIFT Classroom Training
The SWIFT training team does not offer classroom training in the summer. We rebuild our training databases each summer to mirror the most current fiscal year's financial accounting fields. Please look for SWIFT classroom training in early September.
There are some limited SWIFT training options offered online only. All SWIFT classes are free of charge and open to everyone. Find and enroll in online training options by opening Employee Self-Service and selecting the Enterprise Learning Management (ELM) folder. On the Search for Learning section, enter the keyword “SWIFT” and click Search.
SWIFT Help Desk
Contact the SWIFT Help Desk for any questions, concerns or issues you have with SWIFT:
651-201-8100, option 2 or by email SWIFTHelpDesk.MMB@state.mn.us
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; closed holidays.
When emailing the SWIFT Help Desk, be sure to include all details regarding the issue. Information to include with your message:
- Issue Description
- Business Unit
- Module (Accounts Payable, Purchase Orders, etc.)
- Transaction ID (Voucher ID, PO ID, etc.)
- Error Message Print Screen
Additional assistance can be found on the SWIFT Reference Guide page.
To find SWIFT training, open Employee Self-Service and select the Learning folder. Then, search the Catalog using the keyword “SWIFT” to find and enroll in classes currently scheduled. Classes are free of charge and open to everyone.
SWIFT Update Mailing List
The SWIFT Update is sent to the SWIFT Newsletter subscription list. Use the links at the bottom of the page to subscribe or unsubscribe to the SWIFT Newsletter subscription list.