Future Minnesota State Veterans Homes
In May, 2018 Governor Dayton and the Minnesota State Legislature allocated $32 million in Chapter 214, HF 4425 of the Omnibus Bonding Bill for three new State Veterans homes. The funding breakdown is as follows:
- $12.4 million for the Bemidji Veterans home project
- $9.4 million for the Montevideo Veterans home project
- $10.2 million for the Preston Veterans home project
These allocations only represent a portion of the total construction costs; new Veterans Homes are a combination of federal granted (65%), state bonded and pending community-provided monies (35%).
The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), the Minnesota Department of Administration (Admin) and Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB) recently met with each of the three communities to review the overall timeline and planning. There are still many tasks that need to be completed to meet the federal application deadline on, or before, April 1, 2019.
Next steps, currently underway, include selecting a design firm to review community logistics and potential sites (review the State Register for designer RFP). Communities are also currently working to raise and secure additional community funds, which will determine the predesign and facility size, as well as the federal matching request. The following is the time table for those additional community funds:
- August 1, 2018 - Community to provide due diligence info on proposed site and site control
- August 31, 2018 - Community contribution pledge amount
- March 23, 2019 - Community contribution in escrow
More information regarding these homes can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions page.