skip to content
Primary navigation
A clock with a post-it note stating It's time

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Cross-Filing

What is cross-filing?

Your charge may be filed at the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) if it meets the criteria for filing under the federal employment discrimination laws enforced by that agency. 
The state and federal agencies can accept charges for each other when both have jurisdiction. A charge filed in the areas of employment with the state Human Rights Department or with EEOC will be "cross-filed" with the other, so that only one agency investigates the claim.
Under our workshare agreement with EEOC, and if your charge is eligible, we will automatically cross-file it with EEOC. To do this, your complaint must be within the statute of limitations for the applicable federal law. Federal laws allow a shorter period for filing a complaint.
back to top