Born July 12, 1914, Sauk Rapids, Minnesota. Attended St. Cloud Teachers College; graduated from Valparaiso University in 1939. Member State House of Representatives 1943-1949, service in World War II. Former Chairman, Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Airports Commission. Lecturer in law, University of Minnesota Law School since 1951. Appointed District Judge March 1, 1950, reelected 1950 and 1956. Member and chairman of A.B.A. Advisory Committee on Prosecution and Defense Functions, A.B.A. Project on Standards for Criminal Justice. Appointed Associate Justice of Supreme Court effective February 1, 1962; subsequently reelected to succeeding terms. Resigned September 7, 1980. Died May 15, 1998.