Born in Saratoga County, New York, in 1829. Attended Courtland Academy, and in 1852 graduated from Yale. Admitted to practice in 1855, and came to Minnesota in the following year. In 1859, elected District Judge, Fourth Judicial District, and served until 1880 by virtue of reelection. Elected Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court and served in that position from 1882 to 1894, when he returned to private practice of law. Died at his home in Minneapolis on March 3, 1898.