Defamation (Libel and Slander)
Statutes: (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
Resources: (Print resources are available at the Minnesota State Law Library and in county law libraries around the state.)
- Defamation Law Made Simple, from Nolo.
- Defamation, Libel and Slander, from Findlaw.
- Defamation and Social Media: What You Need to Know, from Findlaw.
- Dunnell Minnesota Digest, Minnesota's legal encyclopedia, article on "Libel and Slander."
- Herr, David F. Elements of an Action. (Thomson/West, 2007) Reference Desk KFM5480 .M53. (vol. 28 Minnesota Practice). Chapter 14, Libel and Slander.
- Libel, from Wex, the legal encyclopedia from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Pirsig, Maynard E. Pirsig on Minnesota Pleading, 6th ed. (LexisNexis/Matthew Bender, 2008) Reserve Room KFM5935 .P57 2008, Chapter 4, part LII, Libel and Slander.
- Sack, Robert D. Sack on Defamation: Libel, Slander, and Related Problems (Practicing Law Institute, 2017) KF1266 .S22
DISCLAIMER: As librarians and not lawyers, we can suggest resources but cannot give legal advice (such as which form to file), or legal opinions, (such as how a statute might apply to particular facts.) To do so could be considered the unauthorized practice of law. Even though we try to suggest materials that will be of help, further research is usually required to find a complete and correct answer. For many questions, the best answer may be to consult an attorney. For links to resources on finding an attorney click here.