Data Practices Act and Open Meeting Law
Statutes and Rules: (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
Resources on Data Practices in Minnesota:
- Access to Information, from the Minnesota Department of Administration.
- Arnold, Jason Ross Secrecy in the Sunshine Era: The Promise and Failures of U.S. Open Government Laws (U. Kan. Press 2014) KF5753 .A976 2014.
- Requesting Information, from the Minnesota Department of Administration.
- Minnesota Government Data Practices Act: An Overview, from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Government Data Practices Summary, from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Government Data Practices Law Survey (Legislative Commission on Data Practices Dec. 22, 2014), from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Webinar: Shedding Light on the Minnesota Open Meeting Law, from the League of Minnesota Cities.
- Webinar: Data Privacy--Legal Risks, Mitigation, and Response for Municipalites, from the League of Minnesota Cities.
Resources on Open Meetings in Minnesota:
Note: Minn. Stat. § 13.90 excludes the judiciary from the Data Practices Act. This third branch of government has its own Rules of Public Access to Records of the Judicial Branch.
Related Topics: Freedom of Information Act
DISCLAIMER: As librarians and not lawyers, we can suggest resources but cannot give legal advice (such as which form to file), or legal opinions, (such as how a statute might apply to particular facts.) To do so could be considered the unauthorized practice of law. Even though we try to suggest materials that will be of help, further research is usually required to find a complete and correct answer. For many questions, the best answer may be to consult an attorney. For links to resources on finding an attorney click here.