skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Wells and Borings: Explorer Company / Responsible Individual / Drilling Machines & Hoist Registration
Alternate Title:
Description: The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) licenses contractors who construct, repair, and seal wells and borings.
Subject: Water
Water Wells and Borings
Creation Date: 9/15/2008 1:39:32 PM
Modification Date: 12/6/2019 2:04:02 PM
Agency Name: Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Health is the state's lead public health agency, responsible for protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all Minnesotans.
Agency Phone: 651-201-5000
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Health, Minnesota Dept. of
625 Robert St. N.
P.O. Box 64975
St. Paul
Unit Name: Well Management Section Central Office
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-201-4600
Unit Fax: Contact person(s):
Unit URL:
Audience: Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:
Company License Application
An explorer's license is issued by MDH and is required to construct, repair, or seal exploratory borings. The explorer's license shall include the name of the responsible individual who will supervise or oversee the location, construction, and sealing of exploratory borings on behalf of the explorer.

Certification of Responsible Individual
The construction, maintenance, and sealing of exploratory borings must be supervised by a certified responsible individual. In order to be certified as a responsible individual an applicant must (1) take and pass a written exam, (2) be licensed by the state of Minnesota as a professional engineer or geologist, or (3) be certified by the American Institute of Professional Geologists. Having one of these accreditations enables an applicant to bypass the written exam.

Drilling Machines and Hoists Registration
drilling machine or hoist may not be used for exploratory boring, or for any drilling activity requiring a license, unless the drilling machine or hoist is registered with MDH.

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Registration
Under Minn. Stat. § 103I.601, subdivision 3, the explorer must also register with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) – Division of Lands and Minerals at least 30 days prior to constructing an exploratory boring. This registration must be renewed annually. The DNR may require a bond, security, or other assurance from the explorer if the DNR has reasonable doubt about the explorer’s financial ability to comply with the requirements of law. Contact DNR – Division of Lands and Minerals for additional information.


Licensing Applications and Registration - Explorer Responsible Individual

Contractor Information

Rules: 4725

Statutes: 103I.601


Qualification Application for Explorer Responsible Individual (PDF)

Explorer Responsible Individual


Licensing Applications and Registration

Contractor Information


Refer to Fees

Period of Issuance:

Explorer's license require annual renewal and expire on December 31 of each year.

Length of Determination: Variable, depending on adequacy of documentation, identification of problems during application review, and results of examination. Typically, within 1 month of qualification application submittal.
Other Info:
Activity: License Detail URL:

Explorers and Exploratory Borings

Wells and Boring

Licensed Well and Boring Contractor Directory

Minnesota Department of Health


back to top