Update (3/21/21) In-person visiting at Togo is now reopen. All visits must be scheduled advance. Please see visiting information below for more details.
The MCF-Togo houses up-to 90 adult male Challenge Incarceration Program (CIP) participants. The facility opened in 1955 as "Thistledew Camp" for youth. In 2015, MCF-Togo's mission changed from juveniles to minimum-security adults.
CIP-Togo is a minimum security boot camp program mandated by the Legislature in 1992 that allows non-violent individuals who qualify to earn early release. Phase 1 is a six-month, intensive program for up to 90 males who had non-violent drug and property offenses. Programming components include education, critical thinking skills development, chemical dependency programming, rigorous physical exercise, restorative justice work crews, and MINNCOR Industries firewood bundling for state parks. Phases 2 and 3, supervised release phases, are generally six months in duration and served in the community.
Facility work and programming include:
- MINNCOR Industries firewood bundling for state parks
- Substance Use Disorder treatment serving up to 90 participants
- Adult Basic Education and GED program
- Community work crews
Driving Directions: From the town of Nashwauk take Hwy. 65 north and travel approximately 30 miles; watch for mile marker 203. Turn left at County Road 551 and travel 3 miles. The MCF-Togo entrance is on your left, look for the facility sign.
- All visits must be scheduled in advance. You can schedule a visiting appointment by calling the facility at least 24 hours in advance, at 218-376-7878, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Visits can also be scheduled by using the Online Scheduling Option: https://login.nowaitinside.com/#/booking/iJ4YGE24cPQQxmgp3BWyYbmx
- All visits are limited to one hour in duration, extended visits are not able to be offered at this time due to the need for social distancing in the visiting rooms.
- All visitors must be screened, including temperature checks. If the temperature check is 100.0 degrees or higher, the visit cannot occur.
- Each person can have a maximum of 4 visitors per visit - all must be on approved visiting list.
- Visiting will occur between 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Barrier masks are required for all visitors over the age of 2.
- Visits will take place with social distancing protocols in place, including staying 6 feet apart at all times. Physical contact is not permitted during any portion of the visit.
- Activities for children in the visiting room will be limited to best maintain social distancing and limit touching of surfaces in an effort to reduce exposure to COVID-19.
Please sign up to receive up-to-the-minute communication about changes in visiting schedules or rules by email or text message: https://mn.gov/doc/family-visitor/
No information concerning an inmate's visiting list will be given over the phone. Anyone wishing to have information will need to present picture ID at any MCF location.
The first and third Sundays—beginning with the first full weekend of the month—are the designated visiting days for all squads (If the 1st of the month is a Sunday, visiting will be the following Sunday on the 8th).
Visiting hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Please arrive 15 minutes early for screening and registration.
Red, Brown, and Blue Hats
ALL visits 1 hour in length due to COVID-19. All participants eligible for visits after the initial 14 days of Phase 1 of CIP. For individuals at Togo, visiting time limits are determined by hat color. (currently changed due to COVID)
Red Hat Level are eligible for two 1-hour visits per month, after the initial 14 days of Phase I of CIP.
Brown Hat Level are permitted two 2-hour visits per month.
Blue Hat Level are permitted two 3-hour visits per month.
Extended Visits Extended visits not being granted at this time due to COVID-19
Red and Brown Hat visitors traveling in excess of 100 miles one-way to MCF-Togo can be approved for extended visits per Policy 302.100—Visiting. Requests for extended visits can be handled by the visitation officer at the time of the visitor’s arrival. Extended Red and Brown Hat visits can be up to 3 hours in length. All visitation ends at 12:30 p.m.
Visiting still occurs when a holiday falls on a designated visiting day.
Please read the Inmate Visiting Information prior to visits.
Download a visiting application here. All Togo visitors must mail their applications to:
Attn: Visiting Unit
7600 525th Street
Rush City, MN 55069
CIP visiting staff contact: 218-376-7878.