Trainee Corrections Officer
Apply for our Corrections Officer Academy today! Our paid training program will prepare you for this great career. Click here to go to the Minnesota Careers site to apply for the position.
Salary Range: $16.11 per hour during the six-week Pre-Service Academy
(Please see Additional Salary Information below for a description of the progression from Trainee to Corrections Officer 2.)
Applicants who qualify will need to pass the REACT Video test, interview and background checks in order to be placed on the eligibility list for hire. If position is offered, you must also pass a pre-employment physical. Further information on this process is listed below.
Additional Salary Information:
Only if a position is offered will you be eligible to attend the 6-week training program. After the successful completion of the six-week training program as the Corrections Officer Trainee you will be appointed to a Corrections Officer 1 position with a salary range of $17.90 to $21.25 per hour ($37,375 to $44,370 per year). Employees who are appointed to Corrections Officer 1 will be eligible for promotion to Corrections Officer 2 after one year with a salary range of $19.53 to $28.23 per hour ($40,779 to $58.944 per year).
Work Locations: Positions are located at Minnesota Correctional Facilities (MCF) located in Faribault, Lino Lakes (Twin Cities Suburbs-North), Moose Lake/Willow River, Oak Park Heights, Red Wing, Rush City, St. Cloud, Shakopee, Stillwater, and Togo.
Complete a six-week training program to learn to enforce facility rules and maintain security; supervise offenders in daily living routines; monitor movement and activities, including acting as a offender work crew supervisor; exercise disciplinary control over offenders; and write reports. The training includes a two-week academy program in St. Paul plus job location training.
Minimum Qualifications/Selection Process:
To qualify for further consideration and assessment, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age to work at an adult facility.Must be 21 years or older to work at a juvenile facility unless enrolled or have completed course work in a post-secondary education program to pursue a degree in a behavioral science; AND
- Possess a high school diploma or GED; AND
- Possess a valid driver's license (may be required for specific assignments); AND
- Be able to pass a criminal history background check, which will be conducted prior to hire. In order to pass, you must have successfully completed all sentencing and/or restitution requirements of law enforcement jurisdictions, including probation; AND
- Be able to possess a firearm.
In addition, you must possess at least one of the following in order to qualify:
- Completion of an Associate degree in Corrections, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Law, Law Enforcement, Psychology, Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or a Human Services related field with an emphasis in corrections/criminal justice; OR
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree in ANY field from an accredited college/university; OR
- One or more years of full-time work experience in ANY field (NOTE: the work experience does NOT have to be in Corrections); OR
- Two or more years of part-time (at least 20 hours per week) work experience in ANY field (NOTE: the work experience does NOT have to be in Corrections); OR
- Honorable discharge from active military duty in any branch of the United States' Armed Forces; OR
- Current member in good standing in any branch of the United States' Armed Forces; OR
- Successful completion of an internship in a Minnesota Correctional Facility in a related security area
REACT VIDEO TEST/INTERVIEW PROCESS:
If you meet the above minimum qualifications, you may apply for further consideration. The Department of Corrections (DOC) will notify you by e-mail with the information on how to schedule an appointment to take the REACT test within a few days of your applying to this job posting. There is limited space available, and reservations for testing will be on a first come, first serve basis. You will be asked to verify that you meet the minimum qualifications at the time of the test.
The REACT test will be administered by the DOC at its Central Office location in St. Paul .The test is comprised of the following components: human relations (situational video), counting, reading and report writing. Please allow three (3) hours when taking the test.
If you pass all sections of the REACT test, you will be invited back to interview in St. Paul OR at another location as determined by the MN DOC (the address and information will be given at the time your appointment is scheduled to take the test). Please ensure that your contact information (i.e. e-mail address, mailing address and home, cell and work phone numbers) is up-to-date so that we are able to contact you. Please note that criminal history and employment reference checks will be conducted on the successful candidates prior to an offer of employment. In addition, new employees will be fingerprinted by the DOC within the first 30 days of employment.
Preferred qualifications are desired, but not required, upon hire.
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree program or higher in Corrections, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Law, Law Enforcement, Psychology, Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or a Human Services related field with an emphasis in corrections/criminal justice.
- One to three years of full-time or full-time equivalent experience supervising criminal justice-involved clients (e.g. corrections officer, security counselor, jail administrator, probation officer, case manager, etc.) in a corrections or secured environment.
- More than three years of full-time or full-time equivalent experience supervising criminal justice-involved clients (e.g. corrections officer, security counselor, jail administrator, probation officer, case manager, etc.) in a corrections or secured environment.
- Military service (either honorably discharged or currently serving in good standing) in any branch of the United States' Armed Forces in active duty for 181 consecutive days or more.
If you are offered a job, you must pass a physical examination, which is based on the job responsibilities. These components consist of a physical examination, a drug test, tuberculosis screening, and/or respirator clearance. At the time of the job offer, a copy of the Physical Demands Analysis (PDA) will be sent to finalist for review and signature. For a copy of the PDA prior to the job offer, contact Heather Staff at (651) 361-7631 or email@example.com. In addition, an employee must receive a level 3 area exposure to Freeze+P (agency issued chemical irritant) which is a core training requirement of the MN DOC.
Criminal history and employment reference checks will be conducted on the successful candidate prior to an offer of employment. In addition, new employees will be fingerprinted by the DOC within the first 30 days of employment.
WHY WORK FOR US:
Want to make a difference in your community? The MN DOC plays a critical role in public safety and is a national leader in correctional programming. Along with providing security, you act as an important role model to those under our care. By modeling good behavior, respect, and professionalism, you can help bring about offender change. Your positive actions and interactions with offenders positively impacts our goal of reducing future crime.
Employment with the MN DOC is not just a job, it can be a rewarding career. Our dedicated and professional staff have found the MN DOC to be a place to grow. From your first day with the department, you receive a great starting salary, excellent health and dental insurance, and a clear path for advancement.
Have student loans to pay off? As a State of Minnesota employee you may qualify to receive student loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. If that isn't enough to make you excited to work for the Minnesota DOC, we also provide generous vacation and sick leave.
How does early retirement sound? If you serve in a security staff position with the MN DOC, you are eligible to retire from state service at an earlier age than other positions.
If all of this excites you and you'd be proud to contribute to a safer Minnesota, then employment with the MN DOC sounds like a perfect fit! We embrace a dynamic and diverse workforce, and strive to foster a welcoming and encouraging work environment. We also strongly support veterans, as 15% of our employees have served in the United States Armed Forces. In 2016, we were named a Yellow Ribbon Company.
Taking care of yourself today:
- Low-cost Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Short-and Long-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts
- Generous Vacation and Sick leave
Preparing for your future:
- Tax-Deferred Savings
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Employer Paid Life Insurance and Optional Life Insurance
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employee