Drug - Ponstel (mefenamic acid) [Sciele Pharma I]
Therapeutic area - NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug)
FDA approved indication
Ponstel is indicated:
- For relief of mild to moderate pain in patients ≥14 years of age, when therapy will not exceed one week (7 days)
- For treatment of primary dysmenorrhea
- Patient is ≥ 14 years of age AND
- Has mild to moderate pain or primary dysmenorrhea AND
- Has tried 3 other NSAIDS without adequate therapeutic benefit or developed an intolerable adverse event
Therapy limited to 25 capsules. Ponstel is FDA approved only for short term use.
Ponstel, an NSAID, is priced at $10.89 per capsule (AWP). Ponstel may be administered up to 4 times daily.
MHCP Provider Call Center 651-431-2700 or 800-366-5411