Lamictal ODT and XR
Drug - Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR (lamotrigine) [GlaxoSmithKline]
Therapeutic area - Anticonvulsant
FDA approved indication
- Lamictal ODT has the same indications as Lamictal tablets and chewable dispersible tablets.
- Lamictal XR indication is limited to partial onset seizures with or without secondary generalization in patients ≥13 years of age.
A patient can not otherwise swallow or be administered a lamotrigine tablet.
- Lamictal XR is being used as indicated for adjunctive therapy for partial onset seizures with or without secondary generalization in patients ≥13 years of age AND
- Patient has been stabilized on lamotrigine with benefit AND
- Patient would benefit clinically from once daily dosing
Table 1. Pricing per tablet
NA - strength not available in that formulation
Pharmacokinetic comparison ODT to tablet
In terms of rate and extent of absorption, lamotrigine orally disintegrating tablets whether disintegrated in the mouth or swallowed whole with water were equivalent to the lamotrigine compressed tablets swallowed with water.
MHCP Provider Call Center 651-431-2700 or 800-366-5411