Drug - Firazyr (icatibant) [Shire]
Therapeutic area - Hereditary Angioedema
- Patient is ≥18 years of age AND
- Patient has a diagnosis of hereditary angioedema AND
- Patient has a history of acute abdominal and/or laryngeal/facial attacks AND
- Patient has a documented intolerance to OR treatment failure with Cinryze or Beirnert AND
- Patient has not taken an ACE inhibitor or estrogen replacement therapy in the last 1 month AND
- Patient is having <4 acute HAE attacks per month
Limitations for use
Firazyr is limited to the ACUTE treatment of abdominal and/or laryngeal/facial HAE attacks. Therefore, maintenance treatment is not authorized and only 3 syringes per month will be allowed. If patients are having greater than 1 attack per week, consider danzol maintenance therapy.
Exceptions may be granted, on a case by case basis, for patients that do not have adequate access to Cinryze or Beirnert because they reside in a remote geographical region of the state with limited access to acute care facility.
Firazyr (icactibant) is a bradykinin B2 receptor antagonist indicated for the treatment of ACUTE attacks of hereditary angioedema (HAE) in adults 18 years of age and older.
MHCP Provider Call Center 651-431-2700 or 800-366-5411