Drug - Butrans (buprenorphine) transdermal patches [Purdue]
Strengths - 5 mcg/hour, 10 mcg/ hour, 20 mcg/hour
FDA approved indication
Butrans (buprenorphine) is indicated for the management of moderate to severe chronic pain in patients requiring a continuous, around-the-clock opioid analgesic for an extended period of time.
Butrans is a transdermal system (patch) providing systemic delivery of buprenorphine continuously for 7 days.
- Patient has chronic pain requiring opiate therapy
- The patient has been tried on sustained release morphine but experienced intolerable adverse events. Ineffectiveness of morphine to control pain is not a criteria for approval
Quantity Limits Apply: Only 4 patches per fill and only one strength allowed per patient. The maximum dose of Butrans per label is 20 mcg/hour per label. Butrans 15 mcg/ hour (one 5 mcg/hour [patch and one 10 mcg/hour patch) will not be approved.
Payment for Butrans will be denied in the following situations:
- Butrans is add-on therapy to another long acting opioid. If patient is being transitioned from one opioid to Butrans, then a discontinuation plan of the first opiod must be provided
- Patient’s current long acting ± short acting opioid dose is >80 mg morphine equivalents per day
- Patient’s current opiate is fentanyl patch strengths ≥50 mcg/hour
Approximate opioid equivalents to oral morphine
Total mg per day
MHCP Provider Call Center 651-431-2700 or 800-366-5411