skip to content
Primary navigation

Legal non-licensed child care

Most infants and toddlers are cared for by relatives, friends and neighbors. This type of child care does not require a license so long as it is limited to those who provide care for their own children, related children and/or those of one friend or one neighbor. They may or may not be paid for this care. 

Parents should know these informal arrangements do not meet the health and safety requirements of licensed child care. Group sizes may be larger than ideal and caregivers may not have the training they need to be effective. 

Child Care Aware of Minnesota is a nonprofit organization that offers resources for legal non-licensed providers as well as for families searching for child care programs and for child care providers. 

Legal non-licensed providers cannot participate in Minnesota's Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) without first being certified by the department, through a process described on the Certified Child Care page. 

For information about becoming a licensed child care provider, visit ........

Certification for license-exempt programs

License-exempt centers that receive payments from the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) must be certified by Licensing. License exempt centers that do not receive CCAP payments do not need to be certified.

FAQs about certification

FAQs about background studies

back to top