Opioid Prescribing Work Group
The Opioid Prescribing Work Group (OPWG) sunset on Dec. 31, 2021. The OPWG was an advisory body of experts convened to forward DHS’ Opioid Prescribing Improvement Program (OPIP). The program plays a crucial role in Minnesota’s response to the crisis of prescription opioid misuse and abuse, namely addressing inappropriate prescribing behavior among Minnesota health care providers.
The work group was tasked with providing recommendations on the following program components:
- Protocols that address all phases of the opioid prescribing cycle
- Development of educational resources and messages for providers to use in communicating with patients about pain and the use of opioids to treat pain
- Quality-improvement measures to assess variation and support improvement in clinical practice
- A set of thresholds directed at MHCP-enrolled providers with persistently concerning prescribing practices that will trigger mandatory quality improvement; and
- Sanction standards for MHCP-enrolled providers.
Questions about the Opioid Prescribing Work Group can be directed to email@example.com.