Launch your Startup
Your big ideas can solve the next generation’s problems today.
Minnesota is a phenomenal place to launch your business. We can make it possible for companies to grow right here in Minnesota and not feel they have to go elsewhere - and we want to promote innovative jobs and our innovation ecosystem in a coordinated way.
Our state government has lots of programs to help businesses in any industry get off the ground. Many of our largest companies are partners in accelerators and other startup programs. For example, Cargill and Ecolab support Techstars Farm to Fork accelerator, and Allianz and Securian Financial partner with gener8tor in the OnRamp Insurance accelerator.
- Launch Minnesota's Innovation Grants target the most promising, innovative businesses and technologies in Minnesota. These grants can be used to reimburse business expenses like research and development or technical assistance services.
- Angel Tax Credit provides a 25% credit to investors or investment funds that make equity investments in startup companies focused on high technology, new proprietary technology, or a new proprietary product, process or service in specified fields.
- Direct Investment Venture Capital makes direct investments in Minnesota-based startups, including those at the seed and early-stage.
- Growth Loan Fund provides direct loans to early-stage businesses that qualify for the Angel Tax Credit or are working with accredited investors or a VC firm. Loans range from $100,000 to $400,000 based on 20% of the total investment in a defined funding round, not to exceed 12 months.
- STEP grants (50% matching up to $7,500) support a range of export development activities, including participation in virtual and in-person trade shows and missions.
Ongoing Technical Assistance for Small Businesses
- CALL the Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425 or 800-310-8323 with specific questions or to be connected to the right resource.
- CONNECT with your regional entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- MEET with Small Business Development Center (SBDC) consultants across the state who provide guidance and expertise to small businesses or Business Development Representatives who help companies expand in Minnesota.
- REACH out to support organizations serving startups and small businesses.
- REFERENCE the statewide startup and small business calendar.
- LEARN about Launch MN resources to help your startup journey.