Benefits Coaching and Planning Services
Benefits Coaching Services
Benefits Coaching Services are used to assist an individual to understand how their benefits work in order to help them with their career planning.
Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS) purchases Benefits Coaching Services through a Performance-Based Agreement (PBA) milestone structure. Benefits Coaching Services are intended for individuals who require assistance to understand how their benefits work in order to help them with their career planning.
VRS makes payments for services provided after key milestones are reached. Each Benefits Coaching Services milestone will be pre-authorized by VRS staff and paid once per community partner. Payment of a Benefits Coaching Services milestone will constitute payment in full for all services delivered during that phase of Benefits Coaching Services.
Benefits Coaching Services must be completed by staff who have completed a DEED-VRS approved training.
VRS staff may also authorize for IL Services at the same time as authorizing for Benefits Coaching Services so the community provider can also provide assistance tangential to benefits such as assistance with securing housing, transportation, applying for benefits, etc.
Milestone 1: $300
The first Benefits Coaching Services milestone is paid after the following activities have been completed.
- Receive referral and releases of information from VRS staff, review items to ensure they are complete
- Request Benefits Planning Query (BPQY) from Social Security, track that BPQY is received
- Create a contact for the consumer in DB101 MyVault, request Benefits Lookup (BLU), track that BLU is received
- Contact consumer to schedule initial benefits coaching meeting
- Preparation for initial benefits coaching meeting (review BPQY and BLU, pre-work on benefits coaching activities in MyVault, etc.)
- Initial benefits coaching meeting with consumer
- Additional research/verification of benefits (contacting housing provider to verify housing benefits, contacting Social Security/county with questions about benefits, etc.)
- Complete benefits coaching activities in DB101 My Vault (Benefits Planning Summary, Benefits Planning Decision Guide, DB101 Estimator)
- Contact Disability Hub MN for technical assistance as needed
Milestone 2: $350
The second Benefits Coaching Services milestone is paid after the following activities have been completed.
- Complete Benefit Report
- Contact consumer to schedule planning meeting (meeting to review Benefit Report)
- Contact Disability Hub MN to request a review of the Benefit Report
- Preparation for planning meeting (review reports, gather resources, etc.)
- Planning meeting with consumer
Milestone 3: $300
The third Benefits Coaching Services milestone is paid after the following activities have been completed.
- Proactive follow up with consumer (may include: assisting consumer with problem solving issues related to benefits, checking in via phone/email with consumer about completion of next steps, updating Benefit Report to reflect changes to earnings and/or benefits)
- Follow up meeting(s) with consumer as needed (to review updated Benefit Report, contact Social Security, county, or other providers to report new job, education on how to report earnings to Social Security, navigate changes to benefits due to work)
- Schedule wrap up meeting with consumer (when benefits coaching service is nearing completion)
- Wrap up meeting with consumer
Benefits Planning Services
Benefits Planning Services must be completed by staff certified as a Community Work Incentive Coordinator (CWIC).
Benefits Planning Services include:
- Conduct in-depth benefits and work incentives analysis (BS&A)
- Assist individual with in putting work incentives in place
- Provide direction on how to report earnings
- Provide referrals for employment and other services