Airport Infrastructure Renewal (AIR) Application
2019 Instructions and Application
Minn. Stat. 116J.439
The Airport Infrastructure Renewal (AIR) grant program is created to provide grants to counties, airport authorities, or cities to keep or enhance jobs in the area, increase the tax base, or expand or create new economic development.
Types of Funding Available
DEED provides funds as a grant.
January 31, 2020
$700,000 in FY 2020. Projects must encumber funds by 6/30/20 and complete eligible work prior to June 30, 2021.
A county, airport authority, or city may receive no more than $250,000 in two years for one or more projects.
50 percent of the capital costs of the project from non-state sources.
The AIR Grant Program applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Eligibility (No points)
- Capital Investment and Economic Development (40 points)
- Private Capital Investment
- Non-State Capital Investment
- Increase in Tax Base
- Economic Development
- Full-time Job Creation or Retention (40 points)
- New or retained jobs by identified business (es) within 1 year
- New or retained jobs by unidentified and identified business (es) within 5 years
- Readiness (20 Points)
- Committed funding
- Project Identified in Airport Layout Plan (ALP)
- Environmental documentation is complete
Please note, an application must receive a minimum of 50 points in order to be eligible for funding.
The most competitive applications are those that can demonstrate within their request the following:
- A strong, well-documented need and an effective solution. This would include documented financial costs, reasonable budgets, secured leverage resources;
- How the proposal addresses the goal of the application;
- Committed business(es) - a letter from business(es) documenting the number of full-time jobs created or being created and their salaries;
- Project Readiness – the project will be able to start soon after AIR grant approval and completed by June 30, 2021;
- Capacity - Evidence that the Eligible Applicant is able to perform and complete the tasks stated within the application.
DEED Disbursement Requirements
Grant payments will be processed on a reimbursement basis for completed work. When requesting payments, supporting documentation including invoices and proof of payment for completed work, including eligible match, must be included with each pay request in order for Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) to process payment request(s). Payments are made on a pro rata basis (with other sources) and will not be front loaded. Eligible Applicants can only request up to the percentage of funds that matches the percentage of AIR funding in the project. DEED will only reimburse for completed work that has been paid for by the grantee.
Time Table for Completion of Awards
Grant contracts must be executed by June 30, 2020. Projects should be completed within one year of execution of the funding agreement (June 30, 2021). If the project is not proceeding in a timely manner as outlined in the project schedule, DEED has the authority to cancel the award.
Application Requirements/Time Table
Please submit one original and one hard copy of the application to DEED. No emailed or faxed applications will be accepted.
|October 16, 2019
||Solicitation announcement distributed
|October 16, 2019 - January 21, 2020
|November 14, 2019
|January 31, 2020
||Applications due to DEED
|March 6, 2020
||Projects selected and approved
Program/Application Informational Session
An information session on the program and the application process will be held November 14, 2019, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, Initiative Foundation, 405 First Street SE, Little Falls, MN.
If you cannot make that meeting, the presentation will be available after the meeting on the DEED website. Persons considering applying are encourage to call DEED staff discuss their application.
DEED will provide each grantee with the necessary reporting documents. Reports must be provided to DEED upon request.
Eligible applicants must submit one original and one copy of the application to be considered for --funding to the address listed below.
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, 1st National Bank Building, 332 Minnesota Street, Suite E200, St. Paul, Minnesota 55101-1351, Attn: Jeremy LaCroix.
Applications must be received by DEED by 4:00 pm on January 31, 2020. No faxes or emails will be accepted.