Work hard, innovate harder
Minnesota’s booming economy has created a windfall of diverse, well-paying jobs with nearly every major industry represented. We attract people from all over the world; they come here to find work or to get an education that will prepare them for the many opportunities Minnesota offers. Couples with dual careers can each find rewarding jobs in their field.
Names You Know
Minnesota is home to 19 Fortune 500 companies (the 3rd most per capita) with recognizable names such as 3M, Target and General Mills - all known for their innovative contributions to society and progressive corporate cultures. There are also thousands of small- to medium-sized employers across the state that are the lifeblood of Minnesota’s economy, doing equally innovative work in health care, technology and professional services including law, advertising and much more.
Innovation: More than a buzzword
Minnesotans are known for being creative, inventive and entrepreneurial. We rank:
- 1st in medical device and food patents per capita
- 4th in the number of patents per capita
We tend to have a practical, we-can-do-it attitude to problem solving. This is part of what has enabled companies that start here to grow into business giants – and why we have thriving emerging clusters in areas such as fintech, Internet of Things and water technology.
Minnesota's business environment and workforce have garnered these recent national rankings:
- 1st in Main Street Entrepreneurship, larger states (The 2016 Kauffman Index)
- 2nd Best State Overall (U.S. News & World Report, 2018)
- 3rd Best State for Millennials (WalletHub, 2018)
- 3rd in 5-Year Business Survival Rate (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2013-2018)
- 3rd in Opportunity (U.S. News & World Report, 2018)
- 6th in America’s Top States for Business (CNBC, 2018)
- 7th in Technology and Science Workforce (Milken Institute 2018 State Technology and Science Index)
Minneapolis-St. Paul was ranked 3rd among the Top 10 U.S. Cities for Entrepreneurs and Start-Ups in 2018 by Business.org.
We invite you to join us here in the North. You’ll find plenty of opportunity.