University Of Minnesota
- The University of Minnesota ranks 9th among public universities in research spending, with more than $921.7 million, according to the National Science Foundation.
- The University of Minnesota (U of M) is home to over 300 research, education, and outreach centers and institutes.
- Industrial Partnership for Research in Interfacial & Materials Engineering (IPRIME): Focuses on creating opportunities for professionals in industry to collaborate with students and researchers at the University of Minnesota.
- Minnesota Innovation Partnerships (MN-IP): A groundbreaking approach to transforming discoveries into innovative solutions by streamlining partnerships between businesses and the University.
- MnDRIVE: A partnership between the University of Minnesota and the State of Minnesota that aligns areas of research strength with the state’s key and emerging industries to address grand challenges.
- The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota: Seven-decade history of making significant scientific discoveries aimed at improving the health of the world.
Top Private R&D Facilities
- Cargill Animal Nutrition Innovation Campus: The hub of the Cargill Animal Science Technology Development Center
- 3M Carlton Science Center: The company owns 51 technology platforms, which range from adhesives and abrasives, to ceramics and nanotechnology.
Mayo Clinic is a leading academic research and medical institution. In 2018, the Clinic had a research funding of $825 million, which included $491 million of external funding.
- Research personnel: 4027
- Physicians involved in research: 766
- Scientific faculty: 254
- Core research laboratories: 24
- Research and laboratory space: 390,250 square feet
- Total research space: 1,017,787 square feet