Innovation is in our DNA. Minnesota is a patent powerhouse and innovation incubator. A pioneer in medical devices and bioscience technology, the state is also a leader in water technology, food and agricultural innovation, Internet of Things and other new technologies.
Recent Innovation Rankings
- 1st in Medical Device and Food Patents Per Capita (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2015)
- 1st for Internet Usage (Entrepreneur Magazine, 2016)
- 2nd in Bioscience-Related Patents Per Capita (USPTO, 2015)
- 4th in Number of Patents per 100,000 people (Milken Institute 2016 State Technology and Science Index)
- 5th in Technology and Innovation (CNBC, 2017)
- 7th in Technology and Science Business Strength (Milken Institute 2016 State Technology and Science Index)
See Innovation in Minnesota and Resources for Innovators and Entrepreneurs.
Find out more about our medical device industry.
Minnesota offers various tax credits to promote innovation.
See Locating in Minnesota for details on Minnesota’s business climate; companies; major industries and sectors; comparisons to other states; incentives; regional profiles and more.
Our For Business section will connect you to resources for starting and financing a business, finding workers and export and trade assistance.
Contact Us for help with your business startup, relocation, or expansion needs.