Minnesota has a strong business climate – with 18 Fortune 500 companies and eight of the nation’s largest private companies. Companies excel across a diversified mix of sectors, including agriculture, manufacturing, retail, medical devices, biosciences, health care, information technology, clean energy and water technology.
Recent Business Climate Rankings
- Best-Run State in America (24/7 Wall Street/USA Today, 2017)
- 1st in 5-Year Business Survival Rate (Bureau of Labor Analysis, 2012-2017)
- 1st in Main Street Entrepreneurship, larger states (The 2016 Kauffman Index)
- 2nd Best State Overall (U.S. News & World Report, 2018)
- 2nd Strongest State in the Nation (Politico, 2018)
- 3rd in America’s Top States for Business (CNBC, 2017)
(Among Top 5 States, 2015-2017)
- 3rd in Fortune 500 Companies Per Capita (Fortune, 2017)
- 5th in Job Creation Index (Gallup, 2016)
- 5th in Economic Climate (Forbes, 2016)
- 6th Best Economy (CNBC, 2017)
- 7th in Technology and Science Business Strength (Milken Institute 2016 State Technology and Science Index)
- 8th in Largest Private Companies (Forbes, 2017)
See Locating in Minnesota for details on Minnesota’s business climate; companies; major industries and sectors; comparisons to other states; incentives; regional profiles and more.
Our For Business section will connect you to resources for starting and financing a business, finding workers and export and trade assistance.
Contact Us for help with your business startup, relocation, or expansion needs.