Online Filing Instructions and Tips
The Department of Commerce has developed an internet based application to allow for the electronic filing of franchise filings. The goal is to save filers printing and postage costs as well as increase efficiency of departmental review.
What do I need to know?
- You will need to submit filing fees via mail. (See below for “how to make a payment.”)
- All files must be in PDF format and less than 10mb in size.
- If you have a document that exceeds 10mb, you may separate it into multiple documents to include in the same submission. However, please limit the number of separate documents you include in one submission. Whenever possible, please merge multiple documents into one PDF that does not exceed 10mb.
- If you are authorized to file for multiple entities you only need one account.
- Filers should always give Sales Person Disclosure forms a “private” document type. All other documents should be given a “public” document type.
- The Department does not accept documents given a “public” document type that contain social security numbers, personal addresses, copies of checks or other nonpublic information.
- You may submit up to 10 documents in one submission.
How do I use the application?
- Register via Commerce Online Filing
- Fill out all the mandatory fields and submit your registration. You must use a valid email address to receive your temporary credentials.
- Wait for the application to send you an email with your temporary password. The email account you used will always be your user ID. The email should arrive within a few minutes.
- Using the temporary password, log into the application. You will be asked to change your password upon your first login. Passwords must be a minimum of 8 characters and contain a capital letter and a number or special character.
How do I submit a document?
Make sure documents are PDF files and are less than 10mb.
Login to the application and choose the submit documents menu choice.
Follow the instructions to complete your submission.
Remember: when submitting documents always submit public documents before private documents. Submit private files last. No additional documents can be submitted after private documents are uploaded.
What happens after I submit?
Print one confirmation page for your records and one to submit with payment.
When the fee is received, Department staff will review the submission.
If the document contains deficiencies you will receive an email outlining the correction needed.
When the Department determines that the submission is complete, it will accept the submission and will email the filer an Order of Registration. Public documents in the submission will be publicly available in our CARDS system and will be immediately available under the Franchise Registrations area.
How do I respond to deficiencies?
Do not fix and resubmit the original document. Prepare a new black-lined document that only contains the deficiency corrections and submit only the marked pages.
Login to the application and choose Deficiency Response.
Only submit the deficiency correction PDF document you created.