The state of Minnesota is interested in helping Minnesota-based solar businesses expand and in attracting new solar businesses to the state.
From solar manufacturers and system developers and installers to the agencies that help finance solar projects, the Minnesota Department of Commerce is here to help build a strong clean energy economy.
The solar industry is booming in Minnesota, and it is positioned for continued growth. With solar policies such as the solar electricity standard in place, Minnesota is committed to the solar industry.
- 3,252 MW wind, contributing 15.9% of energy generated in MN,
- 25 MW solar PV, contributing 0.01% of energy generated in MN (but growing quickly)
- 487 MW biomass electricity production, contributing 3.0% of energy generated in MN,
- 203 MW hydroelectric, contributing 0.9% of energy generated in MN, and
- additional wind, biomass, and hydroelectric imports resulting from the Renewable Electricity Standard (RES).