These wind maps were developed for the Department by WindLogics using atmospheric modeling. The maps show the wind speed resources at 30, 80, and 100 meters, as well as capacity factor and energy production estimates for a 1.65 MW wind turbine at 80 meters.
- 30 Meter Wind Speed (.pdf)
- 80 Meter Wind Speed (.pdf)
- 80 Meter Capacity Factor (.pdf)
- 80 Meter Energy Production (.pdf)
- 100 Meter Wind Speed (.pdf)
- Month by Month-80 Meter Wind Speed (about 2 MB) (.pdf)
- Wind Map methodology discussed (.pdf)
Wind Map GIS Files
The files below can be imported into geographic information software, such as ArcMap, for further analysis, review, and publication by external parties. Layers such as counties and roads and other information are not provided here but may be available through the Minnesota Geospatial Information Office at the Department of Administration. Each file is approximately 5.1 MB.
Note: These files need special software to open correctly.
- 30 Meter Wind Speed (downloadable .img file)
- 80 Meter Wind Speed (downloadable .img file)
- 100 Meter Wind Speed (downloadable .img file)
Minnesota Wind Speed Verification Tool
[This interactive application] BROKEN LINK identifies the wind speed for a specific Minnesota location at a 30 meter elevation above ground level, based on data used for the 2006 wind map. This data should be used as a general guideline for screening purposes only. Specific site conditions that affect wind speed should be evaluated by a trained wind site assessor before investing in a small wind turbine.
Troubleshooting and Tips on Finding Site Coordinates
- Tips and resources to help locate site coordinates if the wind speed verification tool cannot locate an address.
- The Wind Speed Verification Tool should return a wind speed for any geographic coordinate within Minnesota. Enter latitude and longitude in decimal-degree format only (e.g. N 44.955, W 93.102). Do not use negative numbers.
- For the state of Minnesota, latitude ranges from 43.57 to 49.38 degrees north. Longitude ranges from 89.57 to 97.20 degrees west.
- A zip code is required to locate an address. The application may not be able to locate all addresses in the state.
- If the wind speed verification tool can't locate the address of the property, but you know where the property is, try Google Maps. Right click on the location on the map and select "What's Here?" to get lat/long coordinates. Note: use the longitude number without the negative sign.
Solar Suitability Application