Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Treatment
If you or someone else needs care
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides immediate assistance and connects callers to the nearest available suicide prevention and mental health provider at 1-800-273-8255.
- Every county in Minnesota has a mental health crisis line.
- Call 911 in an emergency or please check the backside of your insurance card for phone numbers and directions.
- Call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Helpline at 1-800-662-4357.
Mental health and substance use disorder care is a critical part of health care
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 is a federal law that protects mental health and substance use disorder treatment offered within many health plans. This law and Minnesota state laws require that these benefits are generally treated equivalently with physical health benefits. Here are examples of benefits that should generally be comparable to those of physical health (such as medical and surgical benefits):
- Visit limitations
- Prior authorizations
- Proof of medical necessity
- Pharmacy benefits
- Sufficient provider choice