skip to content
Primary navigation
Feature image for

Real Estate Information

How to file a complaint

If you have a complaint against a mortgage originator, write a letter to the Department of Commerce explaining the complaint. In your letter, write the details of the dispute and include as many facts as possible such as dates, what was said, etc. Include a phone number where you can be reached and your mailing address. In addition, attach copies of any documents to support your complaint, such as mortgage applications, advertisements or cancelled checks.

You are welcome to call the department with questions about a problem you may be having; however, an investigation cannot begin until the department receives written documentation of the problem. If you have questions, call 651-539-1600 or 1-800-657-3602.

Consumer Resources

Minnesota Housing Finance Agency offers below-market loans to buyers with low or moderate incomes and to first-time buyers. Call 651-296-7608 or 1-800-657-3769.

Home Ownership Center provides a confidential review of your finances and helps determine what mortgage loan programs will be the best. Call 651-659-9336

Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development Agency offers information about housing and low-interest mortgages for Minneapolis residents. Call 612-673-5095

St. Paul Housing Information center provides low-interest mortgages, education and counseling for residents of St. Paul.651-266-6000

Farmers Home Administration offers mortgage loans for low-income rural residents. Write to: FmHA, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC 20250.

back to top