skip to content
Primary navigation

Emeritus Inactive License for Retired Licensees


You may apply for an emeritus inactive license if you are retired and do not intend to resume social work practice in any setting in Minnesota.

  • While holding an emeritus inactive license, you may not practice or advertise or present yourself as authorized to practice social work in any setting in Minnesota and must state that your license is inactive.
  • The Board may take disciplinary or corrective action against your license based on violations of applicable law or regulations of the Board.
  • The Board may grant a variance to the requirements if a licensee on emeritus inactive license provides emergency social work services. A variance is granted only if the Board grants the variance in writing to the licensee. The Board may impose conditions or restrictions on the variance.

Application Process and Fee

You may apply for an emeritus inactive license, at the time of license renewal, or at any time:

  • Complete online or download the Application for Renewal form and select Emeritus Inactive as license status.
  • Report CE hours
  • Pay the one-time emeritus inactive fee of $50 for all license types (It is most economical to apply at the time of license renewal, because you must pay the full emeritus inactive license fee and you are not refunded any of the the unused portion of a previously paid renewal fee). 


You may initiate a request to reactivate your license no later than four years following the granting of an emeritus inactive license by submitting a written request to the Board. CE hours for the entire time that you are on emeritus inactive license must be reported when reactivating.  Visit the Reactivations page for more information. 

back to top