Continuing Education (CE) hours must be completed during the renewal term. For first-time licenses issued, the number of CE hours due at the first renewal is prorated. 40 CE hours are required for each 24-month license renewal period for active status licenses. CE providers and programs accepted are not required to be pre-approved by the Board but must meet all CE requirements in the Board's Practice Act.
Reporting CE Hours at License Renewal
At the time of license renewal, licensees are required to attest to completing the required CE hours on the license renewal application. If needed, you may request a CE variance, on the license renewal application, for any required hours not completed during the license term. You will be granted an additional 90 days from your license expiration/renewal date to complete the remaining required CE hours. Failure to comply with CE variance requirements may be grounds for the Board to take disciplinary action.
You may be subject to an audit of your CE activities. Maintain evidence of completion of CE programs for one year following your renewal/expiation date.
License Renewal CE Requirements
- 40 hours of CE at each biennial license renewal
- 15 of the 40 CE hours may be independent study.
Required content areas:
- Ethics: All licensees - 2 CE hours in social work ethics content
- Clinical: All LICSWs - 24 CE hours in clinical content
- Supervision: All licensing supervisors - 6 CE hours in supervision content
Acceptable CE Activities
- Academic coursework obtained after licensure (1 semester credit = 15 CE hours)
- Educational workshops or conferences
- Staff training offered by an employer
- Independent study
- Independent study must be for publication, public presentation, or professional development and includes, but is not limited to, electronic study. To qualify as "electronic study" Independent Study, CE programs are not live or interactive.
- An "electronic study" CE program which is live, in real time, and provides opportunity to interact with the presenter can be counted as a non-independent study CE hour.
- For licensing supervisors, required to document 6 CE hours of training in supervision, independent study may include consultation or training regarding supervision with a licensed professional who has demonstrated supervisory skill.
Acceptable CE Content
- Contributes to the practice of social work
- Benefits practicing social workers
- Promotes the standards of practice
- Presenter must be qualified in the subject matter
- Not procedural or oriented toward business practices or self-development
CE Audit at Renewal
If audited, licensees must submit copies of verification as evidence of CE program completion. This documentation must be kept for one year following the license expiration date.
Acceptable Forms of CE Verification
|Educational Workshops & Seminars or Staff Training Offered by Employers
||Certificate of attendance with 1) your name; 2) name of sponsor, presenter, employer; 3) title and date of program/training; 4) number of CE hours completed; 5) sponsor/presenter/employer signature verifying attendance
|Academic Coursework by Institution of Higher Learning
||Copy of Transcript
|Independent Study, Including Electronic Study
||Written summary of 1) topics studied; 2) applicability to practice; 3) dates study conducted; 4) number of CE hours completed; 5) titles/authors of books/articles or 6) name of organization offering study; or 7) name and tile of the licensed professional consulted regarding supervision
Pre-Approved CE Providers
Continuing Education FAQs