skip to content
Primary navigation

Temporary License

There are four temporary licenses under Minnesota Statutes, Section 148E.060, which allow a qualified candidate to begin authorized social work practice for a time-limited period: 

  1. Students and applicants not licensed to practice social work in any jurisdiction: 
    • Attention BSW and MSW Students:   Do not apply too soon as a temporary license can only be approved when you complete 1) all degree requirements, and 2) obtain a passing score on required ASWB exam
    • Applied for permanent licensure
    • Taken and passed ASWB examination
    • Completed all degree requirements for a social work degree accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) or the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work (CASSW)
    • Expires at 6 months
  2. Current licensees authorized to practice social work in another jurisdiction:
    • Currently licensed in another jurisdiction
    • Applied for permanent license OR not applied for permanent license to provide disaster relief
    • Completed all degree requirements for a social work degree accredited by CSWE or CASSWExpires at 6 months
  3. Students who have completed requirements for a baccalaureate or graduate degree in social work from a program in candidacy status: (degree programs working toward CSWE accreditation
    • Applied for a permanent license
    • Taken and passed ASWB examination
    • Completed all degree requirements for a social work degree program pending accreditation by CSWE or CASSW
    • Expires at 12 months
  4. Teachers whose permanent residence is outside of the United States:
    • Permanent address outside of the United States
    • Teaching social work in an academic institution in Minnesota for a period not to exceed 12 months
    • Taken and passed ASWB examination
    • Completed requirements for a social work degree
    • Expires at 12 months

  5. Time Limited Temporary License:

    • A temporary license is time-limited and non-renewable. Temporary licenses expire at either 6 or 12 months,  or until the permanent license is issued, denied, or revoked.

    Authorized Scope of Practice

    • Baccalaureate temporary licenses authorize the practice of social work, but does not authorize clinical social work practice 
    • Graduate temporary licenses authorize both the practice of social work  and clinical social work practice
    • Complete details describing the Board's definition of social work practice and clinical social work practice are found in Minnesota Statutes, Section 148E.010, subdivisions 11 and 6

    Licensing Supervision for Practice Required

    • If not licensed in another jursdication, all baccalaureate and graduate temporary license holders must obtain licensing supervision for any social work practice in Minnesota
    • Licensing supervision must be provided by a social worker appropriately licensed and eligible to provide supervision under the Board's Practice Act
    • Supervision Plan form must be submitted withing 60 days after beginning a social work practice position. 
    • Supervision Verification form is required before the permanent license will be granted
    • Supervised practice obtained while the temporary license is effective will apply toward the supervised practice requirement after licensure for the LSW or the LGSW license

    Representation to the Public

    • A licensee with a temporary license must state the license is temporary and must not imply the license is permanent

    Temporary License Application

back to top