Temporary OTA License Application (New Graduate)
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy Assistant license before you can begin practicing or using protected titles. Thoroughly review the application materials before submitting your application. Any processing fees incurred are your responsibility and are nonrefundable. The Board reserves the right to reject any outdated applications.
Complete this process to apply for a temporary license as a new graduate who has completed all of their degree requirements, may or may not have a degree posted, AND has an employer and qualified occupational therapist to serve as a supervisor. Supervision is required for new graduates that have not yet passed the NBCOT exam.
Important things to know about the application process as a new graduate:
- To submit an application for temporary license as a new graduate you must be employed and have a qualified OT supervisor;
- Once issued, your temporary license will be in effect for six (6) months;
- It is renewable for an additional six (6) months if the exam requirement remains unmet and the individual has not been otherwise disqualified;
- The Temporary License renewal form must be submitted in paper via US mail and is linked above. Ensure it is mailed in adequate time for processing;
- After BOTP receives ALL necessary documents, it will take five (5) to ten (10) business days to review your temporary license application for approval;
- If a question on the application doesn’t apply to you, respond “N/A.”;
- When you are approved for a temporary license, you will receive correspondence via mail from the Board office confirming your licensure and your license will appear on the License Look Up Search tool.
To ensure that your application is processed in a timely manner, complete the following checklist items:
- Complete the application through the online portal. License fees are submitted at the end of the online application;
- In addition to the online application, you will need to request and submit the following items directly to the Board;
- Complete and submit via email or US mail the New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form linked above and;
- Request your Official Transcript from your school where you completed your occupational therapy degree. The transcript must reflect the occupational therapy degree awarded. A transcript must be sent directly from your school in an unopened, sealed envelope or sent directly from your school via official electronic email version. IF you have recently graduated and a transcript is not yet available to verify your degree, we will accept a Letter or Certificate of Completion from your academic program that indicates completion of all degree requirements. However, an official transcript must be sent when it becomes available.
What happens next?
You may begin to practice as soon as your name appears on our License Look Up page (link found in menu bar above). The website is updated as licenses are issued.
Once you receive your temporary license approval:
- Send your supervisor(s) a copy of your temporary license approval letter. BOTP does not notify supervisors or employers when license applications are approved. Ensure your supervisor has the supervision information from the MN Statute
- Immediately report other employers, supervisors, and/or places of employment using the New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form linked above. You must report any additional supervisors, employers, and/or additional work locations within 30 days
- If you have more than one employer or place of employment, you must submit information for every employer and supervisor. A fee is not required for submission of additional employer information
- If you fail the NBCOT exam, you may continue to work as long as your temporary license is current
If you have specific questions about the application process contact the Board office directly.
If you require an alternate format (i.e., large print), please call 1-800-627-3529.