Temporary OTA License Application (New Graduate)
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS APPLICATION PROCESS AS A NEW GRADUATE:
- You cannot submit an application for a temporary license as a new graduate if you are NOT employed and do NOT have a qualified supervisor
- After BOTP receives all necessary documents, it will take five (5) to ten (10) business days to review your temporary license application for approval. To ensure that your application is processed in a timely matter, complete all the steps in this checklist
- BOTP will not approve your application until we receive: 1) an online application 2) all requested documentation; and 3) license fee payment.
- If a question on the application doesn’t apply to you, respond “N/A.”
- When you are approved for a temporary license, you will receive correspondence from BOTP confirming your licensure
Complete these steps to apply for a Temporary License as a new graduate who has completed all of their degree requirements, may or may not have a degree posted, AND has an employer and qualified occupational therapist to serve as a supervisor. Supervision is required for new graduates that have not yet passed the NBCOT exam.
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy license before you can begin practicing in Minnesota or using protected titles. Please thoroughly review the application materials before submitting your application. Any processing fees incurred are your responsibility. The Board reserves the right to reject any outdated applications submitted.
As a new graduate, your temporary license is in effect for six (6) months. It is renewable for an additional six (6) months if necessary. The renewal form is available here.
- Print the instructions and use them as a check list
- Complete the online application and payment section
- Report ALL supervisors and employment locations during the application process
- Complete, sign and date the Records Waiver and Release Form and Applicant Affirmation form
- Contact the school where you completed your occupational therapy degree and request an official transcript be sent directly to BOTP. If you have recently graduated and a transcript is not yet available to verify your degree, we will accept a letter or certificate of completion mailed directly to BOTP from the school. However, an official transcript must be requested when it becomes available. Send all letters and transcripts directly to BOTP.
- Make a copy of the Records Waiver and Application Affirmation document for your records.
- Mail or email the additional information to:
Minnesota Board of Occupational Therapy Practice (MN BOTP)
2829 University Ave SE, Suite 415
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Subject line: Temporary license (last name, first initial)
Note: BOTP will NOT accept or transcript or letter unless it is in an unopened sealed envelope sent directly from your school.
Once BOTP has received your completed application, fee and supporting documentation, your application is reviewed and processed. Issuance of your temporary license may take 5-10 business days after all documents are received.
If you have any questions about the application process or submitting the required documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
ONCE YOU RECEIVE YOUR TEMPORARY LICENSE APPROVAL:
1. Report other employers, supervisors, and/or places of employment Board of Occupational Therapy Practice at email@example.com
. Be sure to include the supervisor information as outlined in the temporary application.
- You must report any additional supervisors, employers, and/or additional work locations within 30 days.
- If you have more than one employer or place of employment, you must submit information for every employer and supervisor
- You may scan and email lists of additional employers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No fee is required for submission of additional employer information.
- Once approved, your temporary license is in effect for six (6) months.
- As a new graduate, you may renew your temporary license once.
- If you fail the NBCOT exam, you may continue to work as long as your temporary license is current.
2. Send your supervisor(s) a copy of your temporary license approval letter. BOTP does not notify supervisors or employers when license applications are approved. Ensure your supervisor has the supervision information from MN statute.
If you require an alternate format (i.e., large print), please call 1-800-627-3529.