IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS APPLICATION PROCESS AS A NEW GRADUATE:
- You cannot submit an application for a temporary license as a new graduate if you are NOT employed and do NOT have a qualified supervisor
- After BOTP receives all necessary documents, it will take five (5) to ten (10) business days to review your temporary license application for approval. To ensure that your application is processed in a timely matter, complete all the steps in this checklist
- BOTP will not approve your application until we receive: 1) an online application 2) all requested documentation; and 3) license fee payment.
- If a question on the application doesn’t apply to you, respond “N/A.”
- When you are approved for a temporary license, you will receive correspondence from BOTP confirming your licensure
Complete these steps to apply for a Temporary License as a new graduate who has completed all of their degree requirements, may or may not have a degree posted, AND has an employer and qualified occupational therapist to serve as a supervisor. Supervision is required for new graduates that have not yet passed the NBCOT exam.
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy license before you can begin practicing in Minnesota or using protected titles. Please thoroughly review the application materials before submitting your application. Any processing fees incurred are your responsibility. The Board reserves the right to reject any outdated applications submitted.
As a new graduate, your temporary license is in effect for six (6) months. It is renewable for an additional six (6) months if necessary. The renewal form is available here.
- Print this page and use this as a checklist
- Complete the online application and payment section
- Complete sign and submit via email or US mail the New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form (link inserted, document attached))
- Contact the school where you completed your occupational therapy degree and request an official transcript be sent directly to BOTP. If you have recently graduated and a transcript is not yet available to verify your degree, we will accept a letter or certificate of completion mailed directly to the Board from the school. However, an official transcript must be sent when it becomes available.