OT Temporary License (Another State or NBCOT Certified)
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy license before you can begin practicing in Minnesota or using protected titles. Please thoroughly review the application materials before submitting your application. Any processing fees incurred are your responsibility. The Board reserves the right to reject any outdated applications submitted. Your temporary license is in effect for 3 (three) months. It is renewable for an additional 3 (three) months if absolutely necessary and with justification. The Temporary License RENEWAL Form is available here
- After BOTP receives all necessary documents, it will take five (5) to ten (10) business days to review your temporary license application for approval. To ensure that your application is processed in a timely matter, complete all the steps in this checklist below
- BOTP will not approve your application until we receive: 1) an online application 2) all requested documentation; and 3) license fee payment.
- If a question on the application doesn’t apply to you, respond “N/A.”
- When you are approved for a temporary license, you will receive correspondence from BOTP confirming your licensure
- Print this page and use this as a checklist
- Complete the online application and payment section
- Complete sign and submit via email or US mail the Application Affirmation Form
You will also provide one of the following:
- Contact NBCOT and request a Verification of Certification be sent directly to the Board by mail
- Contact any states in which you have a current unrestricted license. These must be sent directly to the Board.
Mail or e-mail the additional information to:
Minnesota Board of Occupational Therapy Practice (MN BOTP)
2829 University Ave SE, Suite 415
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Subject line: Temporary license (last name, first initial)
Once BOTP has received your completed application, fee and supporting documentation, your application is reviewed and processed. Issuance of your temporary license may take 5-10 business days after all documents are received.
If you have any questions about the application process or submitting the required documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require an alternate format (i.e., large print), please call 1-800-627-3529.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?