skip to content
Primary navigation

OT Another State Application

Attention applicants: The Board recommends you submit your fingerprints to the Criminal Background Check Program as soon as possible after you submit your application to avoid potential delays in the application process. Please contact the Criminal Background Check Program for any questions regarding scheduling or the fingerprinting process.
Please thoroughly review the application materials before submitting your online application. Any processing fees incurred are your responsibility. The Board reserves the right to reject any outdated applications submitted.
Please note: Before beginning the online application process you will need to have detailed information available, including: social security number or alien card number or Tax ID number; if applicable, other licenses or registration numbers, date issued, and expiration dates.
You must have a Minnesota Occupational Therapy (OT) license before you can begin practicing in Minnesota as an OT or use protected titles.

Methods of Licensing:
A. Licensing by Equivalency You may qualify for licensing by equivalency under Minnesota Statutes §148.6412 if you hold a current certificate issued by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Your certification with NBCOT must be current, and you must request a verification of certification from NBCOT and have it sent directly to the MN Board of Occupational Therapy Practice that you are certified. If you are credentialed in another state and you are certified by NBCOT, please submit your application using this method.

B. General Licensing
You may qualify for licensing as an occupational therapist under Minnesota Statutes §148.6408, if you have completed your education and passed the NBCOT examination within the past two (2) years. You must request a copy of your official college transcript and your NBCOT exam results be sent directly to the MN Board of Occupational Therapy Practice.

C. Licensing by Reciprocity
You may qualify for licensing by reciprocity under Minnesota Statutes §148.6415if you hold a current and unrestricted credential as an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant in another jurisdiction, but you do not have NBCOT certification.In addition to the above requirements, you must request a license verification letter from each state in which you hold a current credential and a copy of the state statute or administrative rule that was in effect at the time you credential was first issued and that describes the state qualification for your credential. All information should be sent directly to the MN Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. 

back to top