The online process to apply for an APRN license is active. Please access Online Services to submit an application online.
Initial Licensure: To be eligible for licensure an applicant must:
- Have a current Minnesota Registered Nurse (RN) license or eligibility for licensure
- Must not hold an encumbered RN license in another state or territory
- If the APRN program was completed after January 1, 2016, the program must have included at least one graduate-level course in each of the following areas: advanced physiology and pathophysiology; advanced health assessment; and pharmacokinetics and pharmacotherapeutics of all broad categories of agent
- Completed a graduate level APRN program accredited by a nursing or nursing related accrediting body that is recognized by the United States Secretary of Education or Council for Higher Education Accreditation as acceptable to the board. The education must be in one of the four roles and one of the six population foci
- Roles: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Midwife, Registered Nurse Anesthetist
- Populations: Family and Individual Across the Lifespan, Adult Gerontology, Neonatal, Pediatrics, Women's and Gender-Related Health, Psychiatric and Mental Health
- Current certification by a national certifying body recognized by the board in the APRN role and one of the six population foci
- Report any criminal convictions, nolo contender plea, Alford plea other plea arrangement
- Complete criminal background check
- Must not have committed any acts or omissions which are grounds for disciplinary action in another jurisdiction that would be grounds for disciplinary action in section 148.261 or restitution has been met.
- A license will be issued for an APRN who does not meet the educational requirements but are certified and on the board of nursing APRN registry on or prior to July 1, 2014, and if the APRN meets all other requirements.
Additional Licensure Information
APRN License Renewal Information
Access APRN Registration Renewal Information
How to Obtain a DEA Number