What requirements must I meet to get licensed?
Complete an application for licensure. This opens your file with the board. Either at the time you submit your application or as you proceed through the licensure process you must show evidence that you have completed the following:
- A minimum of a bachelors degree
- Accredited post-secondary academic courses in:
- Organizational management
- Managerial accounting
- Health care and medical needs of long term care residents
- Long-term Care supports and services
- Human resources
- Regulatory management
- Quality measurement and performance improvement
- An approved practicum taken for academic credit through a college or university but performed at a nursing home under the direction of a licensed nursing home administrator
- National (NAB) exam andState exam covering Minnesota statutes and rules about nursing facility operation
Applicants already licensed as nursing home administrators in one or more other states should review the Endorsement Requirements, rules for licensure, and course requirements outlined in the last pages of the Applicant Handbook.
Applicants who intend on submitting prior education and experience to reduce or waive current requirements, please visit the Option B: Applicant with Experience page for instructions
Criminal Background Check - Effective September 1, 2017 forward
Minnesota law now requires that all applicants and license reinstatement must complete a fingerprint-based criminal background check Minn. Stat. (§ 214.075). The Minnesota Health Licensing Boards have cooperatively established the Criminal Background Check Program to help you efficiently complete this mandatory background check. Fingerprints are crosschecked with databases of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and Federal Bureau of Investigation. Applications for licensure and license reinstatement must include the $32.00 criminal background check fee with the application fee. After your application with proper fees are received, the Criminal Background Check Program will send you a packet containing additional information and directions. You are responsible for having your fingerprints taken promptly and for completing all required paperwork so as to not delay finalizing your license application. Previously taken fingerprints cannot be used. Some agencies charge a fee for fingerprinting services. Fingerprinting can be done without a fee at the Criminal Background Check Program office.
Background checks are valid for one year from the date they are completed. Please plan accordingly, as the Nursing Home Administrator application is valid for 18 months.
The CBC office is located at 2829 University Ave. SE, Ste. 555. It is suggested that applicants required to complete a background check in conjunction with their application do so on the day of their state exam. Please contact the CBC office to make an appointment after you receive the information packet.
Please see the Criminal Background Check website for more details.
Getting Started with a NHA License
- Make yourself familiar with the Minnesota State Rules 6400.5000 to 6400.6970, governing the practice of Nursing Home Administration - as an applicant and licensee in Minnesota, you are responsible for following these rules
- Review the Applicant Handbook to answer any questions you have about application, exams, and the licensure process before application. The Applicant Handbook is a thorough and valuable reference guide for the first few years of licensure.
- All candidates must complete the Application with one of the following licensure tracks:
- Option A: New Graduate from Minnesota or NAB LNHA program with examinations
- Option B: Applicant with experience/course waivers, with examinations
- Option C: Endorsement: LNHA/Administrator of Record in two of previous five years
- Option D: ACHCA Certification
- Request Official Transcript (s) from the your college registrar's office after your grades and degree has been posted, showing minimum of BA/BS in addition to any LTC coursework
- Submit a Current Resume with your paper application or following your online application by email to email@example.com
- If currently or previously licensed in another state(s), contact each jurisdiction to have a License Verification sent to the Minnesota Board (Options B, C, D)
Links and FAQs - Application for Licensure
Initial Licensure Requirements
Exams - RC/AL, NAB, State