Who: Dentists who maintain a Minnesota certification in
Moderate (Conscious) Sedation or General Anesthesia (sedation dentists: SDs),
As well as those who are certified with the Board to contract for sedation/anesthesia services (contracted sedation services: CSSs).
Please note that doctors only providing minimal sedation (anxiolysis) do not require certification.
All providers of moderate/deep sedation and/or general anesthesia are required to comply with the March 19, 2007 rules concerning office inspections/credentialing. Inspections/Credentialing are not necessary for doctors only providing minimal sedation (anxiolysis).
Newly certified sedation dentists have 1 year from their certification date to complete the inspection. Dentists certified prior to 3/19/2007 must have their 1st on-site inspection completed by 3/19/2012. All sedation dentists must have inspections completed once every 5 years following their 1st inspection date.
- The inspection and forms have been designed to be as objective as possible.
2. Contact Joyce Nelson, Director of Licensing: firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule an on-site inspection with one of our contracted Board inspectors.
- Provide dates that work for you and your staff.
- Be sure to provide address location where you wish to have inspection.
- The inspector can charge a fee (up to $250), plus travel at $.55 per mile (current IRS rate). Please make check out to the inspector and pay at time of inspection. The inspector will provide an invoice.
3. Send the completed Inspection/Self Evaluation form to Ms. Nelson's email. Be sure to include all attachments:
- Copies of protocols (wrongful events, sterilization, equipment maintenance)
- Copies of all licensed staff's current CPR and ACLS (for sedation dentists and contracted sedation providers)
- Copies of a Sedation patient record completed in the previous 12 months
- Copies of 3 months of spore tests
4. Upon completion of the inspector's summary, the Sedation Committee will evaluate your inspection for acceptance. Correspondence will be provided to the sedation dentist should there be any additional requirements and a "pass" notification will be sent when the inspection is satisfactorily completed.
If you have any questions, please contact Joyce Nelson at the Board office, 612-548-2129 or email@example.com.