Download/print PDF Tips for Improving Fingerprint Quality View the Tips for Improving Fingerprint Quality video
Unfortunately, there isn't anything the CBCP can do to expedite your CBC. We have a three-week turnaround time on receiving your background check report after we have transmitted it to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA). However, we receive about 90% of them in under two weeks.
So, what can you do to expedite your CBC? You can plan ahead. Don't put off completing your CBC until the last minute. The average time for a CBC to be completed from the time the fingerprint packet email is sent until the report is delivered to the board is 31 days. This average is for all CBCs. There are some variables to consider that will affect progress. Consider the following averages (from Fingerprint Packet email to the report being delivered to the board):
- Standard submission, no problems—average is 30 days
- Prints and forms are submitted, but a problem is found (with forms or fingerprint card)—average is 55 days
- First set of fingerprints is rejected by the FBI—average is 67 days
- Second set of fingerprints is rejected by the FBI—average is 104 days
These are averages only. Some way to shorten these times:
- Don't put off completing your application and paying the fees to the board until the very last minute. In most cases, the CBC fingerprint packet email will be sent to you the next business day after the fees have been paid. You cannot complete your CBC until you have received the email as it is the indication that we have received a CBC request from the board. Any fingerprints submitted before we have a CBC request from the board are considered "unsolicited" and will be destroyed.
- Submit your fingerprints as quickly as possible after you receive the fingerprint packet email.
- Follow the directions provided. The time it takes to correct an error may include having to be fingerprinted again and/or mailing in a new form. If you get it right the first time, you'll avoid these delays.
- Watch the video or read the Tips for Improving Fingerprint Quality. Simply preparing before your appointment can help avoid delays caused when the FBI rejects your fingerprints.