skip to content
Primary navigation

LPC Exam Information

One of the requirements for LPC licensure with the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy (andldquo;Boardandrdquo;) is successful completion of a national exam that is accepted by the Board. The exam may be taken any time after you have graduated from your masters or doctorate program in counseling or a related field. It can be taken either before or after you have applied to the Board for LPC licensure. However, passing the exam does not mean that a license has been issued. Your license will be issued only after your completed licensure application, including your passing test results, has been reviewed and approved by the Boards Application and Licensure Committee.

Applicants for LPC licensure are required to have passed the National Counseling Exam (NCE) exam administered by the National Board of Certified Counselors, Inc. (NBCC) or an equivalent national examination as determined by the Board. See Minnesota Statutes section 148B.53, subdivision 1(a)(5). Exams other than the NCE must be determined by the Examination Evaluation Committee of the Board to be equivalent to or exceeding the NCE in order to be acceptable for licensure.

Exams Accepted by the Board for LPC Licensure

  • National exams that are acceptable to date for licensure are:
  • National Counseling Examination (NCE) administered by the NBCC;
  • National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) administered by the NBCC;
  • Certified Rehabilitation Counselor Examination (CRC) administered by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC); and
  • Examination for the Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP) administered by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB).

How to Request a Review of a Different National Examination

If you wish to have an exam considered that is not listed above, you will need to submit your request to the Board with your license application. Please include with your license application any information available to you regarding the exam you have taken. Also include contact information for the test administrator/owner. Your official results must be mailed directly to the Board from the test administrator. The Examination Evaluation Committee will review your request prior to the review of your license application. If the Exam Committee determines that the exam is acceptable, your license application will be forwarded to the Boards Application and Licensure Committee for consideration for licensure. If, however, the exam is not acceptable, you will need to pass an acceptable exam before your licensure application will be reviewed.

Please note that the Board cannot grant permission to licensure applicants to take exams other than the NCE or NCMHCE (i.e., provide an exam registration form or write a letter to the testing agency asking that you be permitted to take the exam). If you wish to take a different national examination, please directly contact the testing agency that administers the exam you are interested in to determine how you may register for the exam.

Exams Not Accepted by the Board

Exams that have been considered but rejected as not equivalent to the NCE (and are therefore unacceptable for LPC licensure) are:

  • National Examination in Marital and Family Therapy (NEMFT) offered by the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB);
  • Certified Employee Assistance Professional Examination (CEAP) offered by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission (EACC); and
  • National Certified School Counselor Examination (NCSCE) offered by the NBCC.

Applying for the NCE or NCMHCE Examination

You will find links to exam information from the Minnesota State Board Information Page on the NBCC website (you can use this highlighted link to access the NBCC website). Test registration is a two-step process:

Step 1:

Your first step is to fill out the NBCC registration form. Use the link called Registration Form. Please note that the application is utilized for both the NCE and the NCMHCE examinations. Be sure to register for the examination that you wish to take. Download, complete and submit the registration form to the NBCC along with the exam fee and an official, sealed graduate transcript from your counseling degree program. The NBCC requests 4 weeks to process your registration form.

Step 2:

After you have received confirmation from the NBCC that your registration was received and accepted, you will need to schedule your test date with the electronic test administrator, Applied Measurement Professional, Inc. (AMP). You will find a link to AMP from the Minnesota State Board Information Page on the NBCC website as well, called Computer-Based Testing Examination Site Locations; it will bring you to the website for AMP, the electronic administrator of the exam. Although AMP mentions only the NCMHCE examination on the first webpage you visit, when you use the informational links on the right-hand side of the page you will find that the information provided pertains to both the NCE and the NCMHCE exams.

If you have questions about the NCE or NCMHCE exams, please call the NBCC at (336) 547-0607.

For licensing questions or to obtain a license application please contact the Board at (651) 201-2756.

back to top