skip to content
Primary navigation

Special Permissions

Minnesota school districts that are unable to hire a fully licensed teacher in a particular teaching assignment may be eligible for a special permission. Several special permissions require action by the Board of Teaching: 
  • Nonlicensed Community Experts
  • Innovative Program Waivers
  • Discretionary Variance Requests

NOTE: Personnel Variance Requests are processed regularly by the staff in Educator Licensing at the Minnesota Department of Education. They are not subject to Board consideration.

In order for the Board of Teaching to take action on one of these requests, the application must be submitted 10 days prior to the Board meeting. This allows for internal processing and one week for Board members to review the materials in advance of their meeting. Submission deadlines for upcoming Board meetings are listed below.

For consideration at
the meeting on Friday:

Requests must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday:

July 15, 2016

July 1, 2016

August 12, 2016

July 29, 2016

September 9, 2016

August 26, 2016

October 14, 2016

September 30, 2016

November 4, 2016

October 21, 2016

December 9, 2016

November 25, 2016

January 13, 2017

December 30, 2016

February 10, 2017

January 27, 2017

March 10, 2017

February 24, 2017

April 7, 2017

March 24, 2017

May 12, 2017

April 28, 2017

June 9, 2017

May 26, 2017


To apply for a special permissions, go directly to our electronic Special Permissions System (SPS).

SPS is hosted by the Minnesota Department of Education and will require a user ID and password for entry. To obtain access to this system, please see the Request for User Access form below.
Questions regarding the SPS system, Waiver, Nonlicensed Community Expert, Variance Appeal, and Limited Appeal should be directed to
Questions regarding General Education Variances should be directed to
Questions regarding Special Education Variances should be directed to
For additional information and questions regarding Personnel Variances, Limited Licenses, and Nonrenewable Licenses, please contact the staff in the Educator Licensing division at the Minnesota Department of Education.
Related Documents:
back to top