Current Available Tours
The Governor's Residence will host five public tours during July 2019!
Please read all information below before visiting or requesting a tour.
Tour dates are the following days and times:
- Wednesday, July 24, 5:00 – 7:00 pm (Open House, no reservations)
- Thursday, July 25, 10:30 am – 1:00 pm (Guided Interior Tour, reservations required, grounds open to the public)
- Thursday, July 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm (Open House, no reservations)
- Friday, July 26, 10:30 am – 1:00 pm (Guided Interior Tour, reservations required, grounds open to the public)
- Saturday, July 27, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm (Open House, no reservations)
Guided Interior Tours begin every 10 minutes between 10:30 am to 12:00 pm. See the information below to request a tour time. The gardens and grounds will be open to the public from 10:30 am to 1:00 pm.
These dates are subject to change. Groups who would be impacted by any change will be informed in as timely a manner as possible.
Guided Interior Tours – reservations required
- Thursday, July 25, 10:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Friday, July 26, 10:30 am – 1:00 pm
Interior tours explore the first floor and lower level of the Residence, showcasing the sustained beauty of several original decorative highlights, as well as added modern amenities to the 107-year old home. The 45-minute tours will be guided by docents from the Women's Organization of the Minnesota Historical Society. The program is appropriate for children six years of age and older. Tours will begin every 10 minutes, starting at 10:30 am with the final tour starting at 12:00 pm. Each time slot is limited to 25 people. Please bring a printed email confirmation and have it available when checking in for your tour (either printed or by phone). The grounds will be open until 1:00 pm.
Walk-ins are available but reservations are recommended. Space is limited and fills up quickly.
Reservations fill up quickly!
Please email email@example.com with the first and last names of each person in your group plus a few dates and times you would prefer (see above). Reservations are only accepted through email. You will be contacted with availability and a confirmation email for your to print and bring with you to your tour. Please allow up to 10 days to process your request. Once all the times are filled, guests will be able to visit the grounds but not able to enter the home.
Open House – no reservations
- Wednesday, July 24, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, July 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Saturday, July 27, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
No reservations, self-guided tour. Volunteer docents from the Women's Auxiliary of the Minnesota Historical Society will be available to answer questions in each room on the first floor and lower level of the Residence. The open house is roughly 20 minutes. Grounds and Gardens will also be open.
Grounds and Gardens
The Grounds and Gardens are open during public tours and do not require reservations. Docents will be stationed throughout the grounds to provide information about historic lawn games, sustainable argiculture, historic gardens and current plantings. Visitors are able to visit the vegetable gardens and learn about them from an expert gardener. The grounds will be open until 1:00 pm to allow sufficient time for groups to tour the gardens.
Accessibility and Visitors Needing Assistance
The Governor's Residence is wheelchair accessible but has restrictions as a historic home. There is an elevator in the Residence for transportation to and from the main level to the lower level. To ensure that your tour is as enjoyable as possible, we ask that you call the Residence staff at (651) 201-3464 to discuss your group's needs. We will need to know the number of people in your group, as well as how many will require assistance so that we can properly accommodate your needs. If you have any questions, please let us know.
For You Information Before Your Tour
- Tours of the Residence are always free and groups may not charge for them.
- Photos and video are allowed in public spaces.
- Backpacks, bags, and strollers are subject to screening.
- Visitors should dress according to the weather, as there may be a wait outdoors, as well as outdoor portions of the tour.
- Free street parking is available on Summit Avenue and local side streets.