In partnership with the Governor's Office, the Department of Administration convenes the Better Government Awards each year. These awards recognize significant individual and organizational achievements from across Minnesota government.
All state agencies and boards are invited to participate by nominating projects from individuals and/or teams that have increased the efficiency, quality, and value of State government services, using continuous improvement tools or other related methods.
Nominations for the 2018 Governor's Better Government Awards are accepted between October 1 and 19.
Awards will be given in three categories:
- Delivering Great Customer Service to Internal and External Customers
- Projects will be scored on a scale based on how well the nomination demonstrates a focus on customer service, from no evidence of customer service focus to exemplary focus on customer service.
- Making Minnesota State Government a Great Place to Work by Attracting, Retaining, and Developing a Diverse and Highly Talented Workforce
- Projects will be scored on a scale based on how well the nomination demonstrates evidence of attracting, retaining, engaging, and/or developing a diverse and highly talented workforce
- Creating, Promoting, and Measuring Great Results in All of Our Work
- Projects will be scored on a scale based on how well the nomination demonstrates evidence of tangible workforce.
All projects will also be scored based on general performance excellence criteria: evidence of challenging the status quo, applying best practices/benchmarking, and/or developing innovative solutions.
All state employees are encouraged to submit a nomination for achievements worthy of recognition. The nomination period opens October 1 and will remain open through October 19.
How to nominate a project:
- Open the Nomination Form and save it locally to your computer or network.
- Follow the instructions on the Nomination Form to complete and submit the form to your agency.
- By 5:00 p.m. on October 19, send the completed Nomination Form to your agency's Nomination Coordinator.
- Your Agency Coordinator will review your nomination, and may contact you to discuss to further. (If your agency does not have an Agency Coordinator, our office will confirm with your agency's leadership that they want to submit your nomination for consideration for an Award.)
- Agency leaders or their designees will select the nominations their agency will submit for consideration for an Award.
- The Continuous Improvement Advisory Council will review nominations and select finalists.
- One or more winners for each award category will be selected by the Governor's Office and announced at the Awards Ceremony in December 2018.