How You Can Help
There are a variety of ways you can get involved in the 2020 Census effort. When it comes to the census, every person counts, and so does every contribution, big or small. We've compiled some ideas here to jump start your census activities.
Stay in the Loop
Finally, stay tuned for more details on how you can sign up to be a part of the "We Count MN" Network, which will offer even more ways to stay on top of what's happening with the 2020 Census.
Spread the Word
Once you're plugged in, pass it on and pay it forward. Tell your social and professional networks about the 2020 Census. Share news, updates, and information and encourage your contacts to do the same. Whatever tools you use, direct people to our website at http://mn.gov/2020census and use the hashtag #WeCountMN. Check out the examples below for some possible ideas and inspiration.
- Post on Facebook or Twitter to remind your friends of the importance of the Census.
- Use LinkedIn to help with recruiting for the 2020 Census, encouraging your network to consider applying to fill census taker jobs and other related opportunities.
- Create an Instagram or Snapchat story to highlight how you'll be participating on Census Day (and beyond).
- Create short videos or livestream from Census events to bring awareness to the activities happening in your community.
- If you work for a local government, nonprofit organization, or community group, consider adding "We Count MN" Census 2020 information and links to your website or communications materials (including email newsletters, social media, official correspondence, and more).
Organize Events and Gatherings
- In-person gatherings and outreach events are a great way to drive Census awareness and engagement throughout your community.
- They can also be used for specific purposes like recruiting volunteers and Census takers or reaching historically undercounted communities.
- When Census Day arrives, you could even set up a Census Response Table, where people could complete their census forms, on paper or via a computer or mobile device.
- Schools, college campuses, office buildings, churches, community centers, and parks are just some of the possible venues you might consider for attracting traffic and meeting people where they are.
Join or Form a Group
Collaboration is key to a successful census, so groups, alliances, and coalitions are a natural pathway to get involved within your community. We've identified some specific options below.
- Join the ranks of a Complete Count Committee (CCC), or start your own. We've got everything you need to establish your CCC or find one in your part of the state.
- If you live in an apartment building or similar property, you could serve as an "Apartment Captain" or establish a task force to ensure a full count within your building. You could do the same at a neighborhood level too.
- Consider joining the Minnesota Census Mobilization Partnership, a cross-sector collaboration of organizations and individuals working together to advocate for resources and engage Minnesotans to achieve the goal of a fully inclusive, honest and accurate 2020 Census in Minnesota.
- See also, Minnesotans for the American Community Survey and the 2020 Census, which educates Minnesota’s Congressional Delegation and the public about the critical importance of census data and an accurate 2020 Census to drive a strong economy, sustain healthy communities, and improve the well-being of all Minnesotans.
Donate Time or Money
- Community-driven Census activities often depend upon the generosity of volunteers. Consider donating your time to help local groups with outreach, communications, coordination, and more.
- In some cases, it might also make sense to make a financial donation to support the census activities of a community-sponsored Complete Count Committee (CCC) or other relevant local nonprofit groups.
Work for the Census
- Census jobs are a great way to earn some extra income and help your community. There are a variety of different job opportunities and many of them are part-time. Even if you already have a job, check out our Jobs page and consider applying today.