Siting & Routing
The Public Utilities Commission is responsible for issuing permits for large electric power plants, electric transmission lines, and oil or gas pipelines and storage facilities which may require one or both of the following:
- Site permits for large power plants (greater than 50 megawatts)
- Site permits for wind farms (greater than 5 megawatts)
- Route permits for high-voltage transmission lines (greater than 100 kilovolts)
- Route permits for large pipelines
The Minnesota Legislature has established state policy to locate energy facilities compatible with environmental preservation and the efficient use of resources. The Commission must designate sites and routes that minimize adverse human and environmental impacts while insuring electric power system reliability and integrity and insuring that electric energy needs are met and fulfilled in an orderly and timely fashion (Minn. Stat. 216E.02).
The Department of Commerce, Energy Environmental Review and Analysis (EERA) staff conducts an environmental review, provides technical expertise and submits recommendations to the Commission after analysis of siting and routing applications. The EERA provides an environmental impact statement on each proposed large electric generating plant or high-voltage transmission line. No other state environmental review documents are required.
Find projects near you, visit the Project Database
Watch the progress of a project and receive email notification when any documents are filed in a case (also known as a project). Sign up at:
- Select green box “Subscribe to a Docket”
- Type your e-mail address
- For “Type of Subscription,” select “Docket Number”
- For “Docket Number,” select year in the first box, type case number in the second box
- Select “Add to List”
- Select “Save”