Year X, Class 13 Six-Month Followup Evaluation
Partners in Policymaking
Year X, Class 13 graduated May 1997. The six-month followup evaluation was conducted in November 1997 by Tom Zirpoli, Ph.D. Nineteen Class 13 Partners graduates responded to the evaluation for a 70% return rate.
Another revision was made to the evaluation to collect data on how competent Partners graduates feel about the public education opportunities they have had since graduation, and determine personal skill levels related to communicating/educating policymakers and the general public about meeting individual needs through local decision making.
For a copy of the complete report, please contact the MN Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities, 300 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN 55155; phone (612) 296-4018; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following is a summary of the results:
- 95% evaluated the Partners program as very good to excellent.
- 95% evaluated the program as very good to excellent in helping participants understand the importance of being involved in local/community level decision making.
- 95% evaluated their current ability to secure appropriate services as good to excellent.
- 90% evaluated their current leadership skills as good to excellent.
- 100% are more independent at work, home, or school as a result of their participation in the program.
- 42% are more productive as a result of their participation in the program.
- 89% have experienced more community integration and inclusion as a result of their participation in the program.
- 32% have contacted federal officials, 60% have contacted state officials, and 79% have contacted local officials about needed services.
- 100% of those who have testified at public hearings rated their competency as very good to excellent.
- 93% of those who presented to parent/community groups rated their competency as very good to excellent.
- 75% of those who presented at conferences rated their competency as very good to excellent.
- 100% of those who have served on committees rated their competency as very good to excellent.
- 80% of those who published articles/letters to the editor rated their competency as very good to excellent.
- 100% of those who published information via electronic mail rated their competency as excellent.
Comments regarding personal experiences since graduation:
- Greatest improvement is in public speaking and testifying.
- Confidence, dedication and determination to make things better for people with disabilities have risen sharply.
- Now have the education to utilize available resources.
- People I have met are top quality.
- Now have a good foundation of history, knowledge, and vision for the future.
- Am more assertive and informed about raising a child with a disability.
- A source of invaluable information.
- Will continue to see the benefits of the program for some time.