It is important that history does not repeat itself and that we remember the lessons we've learned.
The struggles of the past half century have taught us:
- Not to open any new institutions;
- To keep families together and allow individuals to make their own decisions;
- That all lives have value;
- That all people have a right to live free from abuse, neglect and injuries;
- No human being should have to surrender his or her liberty to receive necessary services and supports;
- That people with developmental disabilities have the right to both personal safety and liberty.
Video: Minnesota's Housing Access Services Program is successful in working with individuals with disabilities to find a home of their own in the community.