Advocates filed more lawsuits against states consistent with the Olmstead decision.
The Department of Health and Human Services principles for state compliance with the ADA included:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, effectively working plan
- Provide an opportunity for the public, including people with disabilities to be integral participants in the plan
- Take steps to prevent or correct unjustified institutionalization
- Ensure the availability of community-integrated services
- Afford people with disabilities the opportunity to make informed choices
- Take steps to ensure quality assurance in the delivery of community-based services